Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Resistance is futile

With the onslaught of pets, mortgage and children it is irrefutable that you will one day need to be an adult. On any given day, contemplating my life past lunchtime would seem tiresome at best and today CH and I had to decide what may happen fifty years in the future.

Yes, we updated our wills. This turned out to be a rather long and tedious process. It is no longer a matter of bequesting all our wordly possesions to our daughter, we had to almost write down every eventuality. Now we have based our daughters upbringing on a bunch of what if's.

We had succesfully dodged having that all important converstation of what happens to Ella should we both die. Until now.

In that stark insiped Lawyers office we discussed and made descision we had not even talked about together. I of course had firm thoughts on whom I felt would bring up our child closest to the way we would.

The longer I think about this the more I realise how little your environment has to play in the deep inner core of whom you are. Sure the packaging changes and is fine tuned by those you meet on your journey but essentially the foundations are long established. I am more than happy with who I am on the inside and have been through much to get here. Ella will never go through what I faced during childhood, for that I am truly thankful.

But, oh yes there is always a but.........I am who I am now because of all I have been through and the desicions I have made. Take away these experiences and do we take away depth and soul from our children? A grand old lady once told me 'The more you prune a fruit tree, the sweeter fruit it bears' I have long hoped that she was right.

No comments: