Monday, August 21, 2006

New Maori King

Did any one see the tradtional challenge and welcome at the Turangawaewae Marae yesterday? I only saw it once and it was spine tingling amazing, I am a little overly emotional at present but this sent rivers of tears flowing, my toddler daughter even was excited with eyes as big as saucers and a grin from ear to ear while clapping. It was sad to only have seen it once as the coverage of the even in the news was fairly scant.

Mind you when she was conceived we were spending time in Rotorua and immersing ourselves in Hangi's, carving, Marae Protocol and all things native to New Zealand, I wonder if a seed planted took root very early in her soul.

I must admit to knowing little of the new monarch Tuheitia Paki time will tell. I think his job will be more in the spotlight than in Dame Te Atairangikaahu's reign. Interesting times.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Hi hun, well I was about to email you and complain about your lack of blogging, since every time I logged on I was getting your first message from Blenheim, and then today for some reason the page wouldn't load so I hit reload and up popped weeks worth of blogging that I haven't seen! I missed it!! bloody buggery technology... wish I could work it!

You're right, the ceremonies were really very moving (and fascinating for me), although I didn't really know what was happening a lot of the time and Moo was very busy and demanding that day so I couldn't hear the commentary. She loved the singing though, stopped in her tracks to watch.