Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Family ties

You would not read about it, well actually you are. After my rampant whingeing from last weekends onslaught of family, a new bunch took it upon themselves to arrive for the entire weekend just gone and only left yesterday.

I need a holiday.

However, I had the most amazing experience that absolutely made my weekend. I generally am not interested in birds, in fact as pets I think what a waste of time. I do however love owls and fantails. Around our property for the last week or two there has been what I thought was a lone fantail and have been worried about it versus my cat. I must admit to being more than a little superstious on the subject of having them the house but I love them all the same. On saturday, just before twilight I heard my fantail calling so I went out on the deck to say hello, there was six of them all flying aound me dancing too and fro so I went and got some bread and they took turns eating from my hand, it was lovely and they were more delicate yet scratchy than I could ever imagined. As soon as they heard the gate open and the family arrive home they were gone and it felt like I had imagined the whole thing, but still it made my night.

Just call me the fantail whisperer.

No comments: