Monday, July 24, 2006

So do you fancy a quickie?

Firstly we have landed in Sunny Blenheim. Car trip with toddler, not completely out of the realms of 'Bride of Chucky' Oh well who can blame her so since she was going to have a crap trip I thought I may as well give her crap food....choccies....Marshmallows...Chips..All the badstuff. Her carseat and anything within a sticky fingers reach needing much cleaning.

Our new home as you know was taken site unseen. Thankfully the close proximity of the train tracks is drowned out by the terrible traffic noise. Apart from that the house is great, old stained and kinda smells but is sunny and has much more space than our beloved Christchuch shoe box. It just feels right.

I met my new midwife yesterday and she seems great. There is a grand total of nine midwives in the Blenheim area and they do the lot birth, slice, dice and reconstruct. The Maternity ward has only a few rooms and is never full. The plunket lady only sees people on a Wednesday. I honestly had not contemplated how country this is.

Groceries are very expensive, there is no competition, no market gardens and very few butchers. No Wendy's or BK but thankfully they have just got a movie theatre. No Recycling!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am disgusted. But it is lovely, although the weather seems similar to Christchurch in accordance to the weather news, it is so much warmer. We only have a fire and it cooks the house, I have no need to turn on a heater in the shower and I can get my washing in at five and have no dampness. Brilliant.

I have been tuning into the local radio station to get a feel for what is going on and do you know what made the news on Monday? There were three shoplifters caught in the weekend and two youths who jumped on the roof of a car and then tried the door handle were apprehended. Fantastic. Not murders, not beatings...................I even feel safer. Get this, our insurance is cheaper given the low crime area!

Anyway I must dash as my child is driving me batty and I really have many boxes yet to unpack. CH is away on a managers meeting and of course I have taken it upon myself to have the place ship shape upon his return...........of course to keep him happy......NO I would never yes it as leverage...................for much later.

2 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

Thanks Margaret, that is a great start, I am just starting to find my way around and have discovered the craft shop in the Redwood shopping centre so I am almost set.

myself said...

You will love the maternity unit here, the staff are all great. FYI the maternity unit has three delivery suites, four if it needs it - which it does occasionally. 13 inpatient beds in 9 rooms. When there are more than 13 women, which does happen, you will possibly have to share a room for a day or so, or be housed in another ward. Blenheim has two full time obstetricians as well as paediatric support. Far from a country town - that would be Kaikoura,several women from there prefer to deliver here as opposed to the factory of Christchurch - if they have any room.