Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Parenting skills courtesy of National Radio


I find that one I write things down it commits the knowlege more to memory. This is one of those wee dittys I hope to remember in about twelve years.

I was listening to a child psychologist on National Radion not long ago and although I did not agree with all that he said I found this bit fairly true and I had neverthought of it in this light.

Sorry I wish I knew his name so I could give credit but he said something along the lines of,
Imagine Great Uncle Harry lives with you and he is of course very old,senile,you name it. You take in a cup of tea and he tells you to fuck off and he that he does not need your help. I imagine you would just back off and that would be the end of it. Why then, when our teenage children say the same thing to us do we get so upset? We must remember that teenage years is more like a sickness than anything else as it does not resemble normal life or feelings just like Great uncle Harry. So we should learn to be a bit kinder to ourselves.

1 comment:

Rose said...

That's very useful. I only have two of these weird old Uncle Harries now. The other one seems to have pulled through. It's amazing how they can turn back to being normal human beings once they get to about 20. Well, that one did - let's see how the other two get on.