Wednesday, May 10, 2006

How very lucky

A friend of mine has just won as Australian and New Zealand short story writing competition. How exciting. Chrissie is a fabulous writer and has been writing for many many years with many published works and books. Imagine that, getting paid for what you love to do. Mind you I have not actually asked her if she still loves what she does. I wonder if or when it changes from a passion to a job.

I love to write, I have no gift for the English language and as to exactly what gramma is, don't ask me! I can barely spell let alone construct a correct sentence. I actually got a book out of the library once with the intention of teaching myself grammar. I guess I had to wash my hair that week and never got around to doing it.

I do remember one particular part of that book that said something along the lines of every writer has a style whether it be one of traditional construction or more casual, it is what makes stories interesting. However, before one changes the stucture of grammar, one must know the rules. So I CAN write stories that would make my fifth form english teacher shudder as long as I understand the mistakes I am making.

One day, all in good time. Incidently fifth form was the last time I did English, I absolutely hated it. More interested in planning the weekend and of course BOYS.

No comments: