Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Happy Waitangi/New Zealand/just another day off Day

Have you been watching the coverage of Waitangi day on the news? Did you also feel stomach gripping ready to unload all of its contents? Perhaps it is just me.

I simply cannot see Mr John Keys as anything other than a snivelling little swotty tell tale schoolboy. He just makes my skin crawl. If I sit down and listen to the man he comes across almost fine but there is something about his actions that completely undermine anything that falls from his mouth. I cannot explain it but there is no way I would vote for him.

I may not be a big Hairy Helen Clark lover but I do applaud her not going to Waitangi as it is little about the remembering the Treaty and more about stutting peacocks. Speaking of that what about Hone Harawira, Maori Party MP for the Tai Tokerau? Now that feller is something to be admired, provided he does not go on walk about. I cannot say I like the man but love listening to him being interviewed and is a fantastic media manipulator; I guess the apple did not fall far from the tree. I am currently reading a Sara Donati book where the characters are Mohawk Indians and they have names like 'Falling day and Runs with wolves and Many doves'. My name for Hone would be 'Cruising shark'

I was just thinking to myself how I would love to have someone like Hone on our side and not against us. A bit of a Freudian slip I feel. As these thoughts have come from a person who loves Maori culture and is truly interested in learning, tries hard to pronounce the language and incorporates the language in everyday life, whose children wear ponamu and hopefully one day I dream for my children to feel comfortable on a Marae. That is the first time I have felt there is an us and a them but who is who is very unclear. If I am feeling this way god only know what people who disrespect Maori and/or Non Maori are feeling. Scary stuff

No comments: