Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Play group drama

I knew it was too good to be true, a gaggle of girls meeting once a week and not having bitchy catfights. It happened yesterday and I was not even involved but still I feel the discomfort. Thats the problem, ever since I had my babies my empathy is off the charts and I simply cannot handle others hurt. Particulary when a bully is involved.



You hear of Mother's Group bullies, I have actually been witness to one before and then as per usual I chose to get the hell out Dodge. This is normally fairly easy for me to cut ties with little coffee groups, in the past I really have not wanted to attend so it has been an easy and predictable out. This however is different as there is many women here that I truly like and do not want to bail because it is too hard. Besides I bet it will have blown over in a week or two.



Coffee group ettiquitte is quite complex with many unwritten boundries that differ from group to group. Hell the hell, do you as learner parent stand a chance against a coffee weary veteran in a confrontation. You can always tell the ladies who for years frequent these dens of the instant blend. They are the ones who always have their crappy stained clothes on(because they have learned not to wear their best like new Mummies and besides are so comfortable with who they are and how they parent), their children always have their nose crusted in snot and usually have a shitty nappy which is laughed off, they are not phased by their child bonking kiddies on the head and only laugh when some other child steals their kids lunch.



Ah so much to learn, I am not even close to being at that stage but am slowly getting there. I remember a time when I would throw stern accusing looks at snotty nosed children, MY CHILD MIGHT CATCH A COLD! or the first time another child pushed my first born, now it is my child pushing others, mainly where food is involved of course. The way she eats at playgroup is just embarrassing, but that is another story. In fact I think it was commented today that perhaps Ella should have her own table to give others a fighting chance of eating something.



OH the shame! ya see I still need my training wheels

No comments: