Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tea for two

Why is it when you seem to be already drowning in the events of the day, you go ahead and throw a little something something to ensure your stress headaches keeps on throbbing.

Today was spent going to a new playgroup, grocery shopping, washing, handmaking chocolates, Florentines and my gooey lemon square(which I completely fucked, using cornflour instead of icing sugar)

To top off my day I had an amazing idea of having a special meal with my nearly two year old daughter. I fully set the table, put out a small lovely home cooked buffet, three dishes, big girl cups and set up the chair so Ella could be a big girl and not in her high chair.

What the hell was I thinking.

I never should have done it. Already prior to dinner I was considering hiding in the corner rocking and sucking my sleeve. Today was the first time I understood what experienced battle weary parents mean when they say that one day you will wish your child could not talk. Constant tinfoil chewing gabble, the same crap over and over and over with a reaccuring theme of NO no NO no NO NO NO NO NO no

I guess I had a vision and wanted to share a lovely moment with my eldest and had fully convinced myself that because I had gone to so much effort, Ella would all of a sudden hold a conversation, eat like a well mannered child and I would be basking in my good parenting glory.

Reality was…… big girl cup poured over the table and dishes, food flung from table top to chair leg, tanties galore, food not tasting good unless it was off my plate and even then refusing to eat a meal most adults would kill for. Whilst yelling Dadda, Dadda !.............................................friggin Dadda, Dadda is away and it is the first time I have been left to wrangle these two by myself for a long period of time.

No comments: