Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The round up

I perhaps have neglected to mention a thing or two.

Firstly I have been toddler free for almost a week as Grandma took Ella to Wellington. I with not a shadow of exaggeration have had a abslolute ball, loving every separated minute. That in itself has been the source of much guilt but to be kind to myself I really needed the break as the little bugger was wearing me down. It has taken a week to get back on track and it has been amazing just being able to focus on my little Poppy, we have had the most lovely time and she has made me smile all week. She is going through that incredibly cuddly stage and just looks at you with her big baby blues with unconditional love and smiles and giggles at everything you do.

I have also chopped all my hair off and dyed it black, to those who know me from old it is like welcoming an old friend to my new friends it is one hell of a shock. I think it looks quite good but more importantly I feel more like I am a new and improved, repackaged model of an old and warty mother.

What do you know about Whakatane? CH has been asked to consider transferring to the north island to futher his career and look after three stores in the Bay of Plenty. I have reservations.
I do not know what is more unnerving, going to The Bay of Plenty or the fact I have reservations. I never have reservations about moving. I love to move and change and have always looked forward to new things with excitement. This time however it is making my skin crawl. What to do, what to do. It could be not having confidence in myself, it could be some silly hormones running through my body, it could be being tired and anxious.

Which makes me wonder about when should our bodies be all systems running well after child birth and breast feeding? Is there a time frame? We are all told things about post natal depression and the like but is there other times you should know about when your hormones try hang you? I have not been very well for a few months now so I am looking at changing a thing or two to see if I can make a difference. Every morning I am having a fruit non dairy spiralina smoothy with flaxseed oil and attempting to do more exercise as well as a good womens multi and lastly a big increase of vegetables and whole grains. It has only been a week so very early days but a positive step none the less.

Sleep is also a big issue and until last week I had not slept more than three hours in one stint in well over16 months. I have had some really strange experiences of late and wondering if somehow I can put it down to not sleeping. Poppy as you know is an horrific sleeper and will cry all night, on a bad night every twenty minutes until about 3am. We have tried many many things. Last week we went to the Doctor to once again see if there is anything wrong or alternatives like cranial minipulation. We left like two stunned mullets as in our hands we had a bottle of sedative. We both felt a little unhinged about using it but decided that to keep our family stong we had to get sleep. That night we got it out and found a syringe to measure the appropriate amount and got ready to use it.

The little bugger slept through! only until 4am but SHE SLEPT THROUGH! and she has done so every night since! The best thing we ever did was threatening her with sedation. I am glad we did not use it but also wary and relieved we have it just in case this new wonder does not last.

3 comments:

snaphappymum said...

Wow, you guys sure know how to live with stress. Lots of things going on in your life and big decisions to make. I know we don't see each other much, but it's nice to know you're only over the hill. Bay of Plenty is soooo far away!

As for Poppy i just wondered how her sleeping thru related to when Ella went away. I know that Maggie is very jealous and is often trying to steal attention away from Charlotte. (Just a little theory?)
Anyway hopefully she will just keep up her new routine and maybe the rest was just baby phase.

Domestic Goddess said...

No I cannot imagine Maggie to be like that! Well if you find the secret to crackign that one, let me know. As for your theory, sounds plausible but to be that manipulitive at only eight months...I shudder at what she has install for me in the future!

Jules said...

She sleeps! Hoorah! Good for you hon, and no she's not manipulating you at 8 months, she just can't bear to be away from you is all - that's how I made it through with Moo!!

Your hair sounds great, photos please.

A whole week off from toddler madness, I'm green with envy!

As for Whakatane I have no idea, go with you gut instinct though, when was the last time it let you down?