Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ok all you Yummy Mummy's out there listen up.

At my last gal pal get together I was told about this child Phsychologist, I forget his name, Winnacot I think but that is besides the point and this is what counts.

Ask yourself are you a Good Enough Mother?

Yes, is the answer! Of course you are even on your worst day you are a Good Enough Mother.

Why? well his theory was this, if you think about it, being a Good mother may not be the best thing for your child, being the Super Mum who does everything with their offspring, anticipates every need and helps overcome every trial and points to a clear way on how to behave and think is doing little to promote free thinking, problem solving, imagination, creating personality except moulding little mini me's. Besides we are not our childrens personal entertainment centre, I would go batty!

In this day in age with all the pressure we have to raise our children and all the second guessing and what if's that follow us to bed at night. We need to relax and realise we turned out just fine and my Parents favourite parenting method was yelling "Get out there and play and be back by the time the street lights turn on" Imagine saying that? Christ I nearly get heart palpitations just thinking about it. OK so I may not get so realxed anytime soon to do that but I am more than comfortable with saying "I am a good enough Mother!"

2 comments:

Mel Archer said...

I think so!
Thanks for posting this - I've been having thoughts along those lines for some time recently as my time as a mother fast approaches - there just seems to be so much info out there that is concerned with telling us what to avoid and what we have to do (and buy too of course) in order to be the (mythical) 'good mother'. I read a post on another blog recently that addressed this question too - i'll link to it when I get home to my own computer :)

snaphappymum said...

I'm not bringing my kids up anyway, the tv is - JOKING!! Totally all for letting them find their own way. I'm a big one on letting them fight their own battles too. I only step in if it's starting to look bloody.
We have started playcentre with Maggie and Ryan and while i do keep an eye on Maggie (from the baby corner with Ryan), if i get to close she pretty much tells me to get lost ('Go Mummy' is very big in our vocab at the moment), so I think Maggie at this stage has no problems with being independant (to a fault, she now doesn't want to do ANYTHING Mummy wants her to!)
Anyway i think i am a good enough Mum to MY children. (Besides i'm far too lazy to do everything for them, LOL!)