Thursday, December 07, 2006

A whirlwind of a week

As most of you will know this past week has been as close to my worst living nightmare. I have not really began to process the events or even get over my exaustion but am brimming with thanks to all who have been involved in our lives since last thursday.

Upon reflection the events as they unfolded now seem quite exciting but to be fair my thrist for adventure does not extend that far these days, lordy I am soft.

Last thursday evening after not being well for a couple of days Poppy's wee eyes rolled back in her head, she stopped breathing and went limp. We panicked. All infant resus skills learned, GONE. I urge all parents to promtly do a refresher or at the very least force yourself and your partner to go over the scenario. Please do so for me.

To not bore you with all the drawn out details, Poppy was a very sick wee baby and Blenheim did not have the facilities or staff for such a baby so we were flown to Nelson in the special life plane(which I had no idea existed) with suspected Meningitus. Nelson has a wonderful Special care baby unit with the most amazing team of people doing all they can to deliver your babe back into the arms of recovery. I have never been affected by any of these so called strikes that the hospital workers have done but we fell smack in the middle of this one as we could not test Poppy as fast and any tests had to be done in Christchurch. They hit Poppy with as many antibiotics they could and the little bugger was like a second hand dart board. They even done a lumbar puncture, which is they very worst. I really cannot believe the extent of this strike and we were not the worst effected by far, does someone have to die before the issue is resolved? As I have been involved in the New Zealand hospital system of late I have a few things to say but will save them for another time.

I do apologise to all those in Nelson we did not actually even visit or even tell of our plight. But you know how it is when you are only just holding yourself together and when you see a friendly face, your face distorts and becomes that real ugly cry face and the next thing you know your own snot is running rivers into your mouth and on to an unsuspecting shoulder..............

We arrived home yesterday, Poppy is not right but temp is down, heart rate is no longer over 200, breathing well, box of birds really but I feel like I have gone seven rounds with a prize winning fighter. Did I mention both Ella and I also got sick. Sleep has been minimal as we were in isolation and Poppy was even more grumpy than usual. Infact upon saying our goodbyes to the team they mentioned although they would miss me they would not miss my baby's cry! It was also commented on that unfortunately Poppy being ill could not account for her general attitude! However my favourite chap Dr Nick also did say something along the lines of the qualities you want in a baby do not make a good adult, if that is my silver lining I shall take it.

It is true, she has so much attitude and is VERY angry most of the time. Never sleeps and is not happy unless she is with me and even then it is not happy in the normal sense of the word as I simply mean........not crying. She is so very knowing and has a look in her eye that seems to sum you up and past judgement in a second and works to plot your ultimate demise. Yes, times are tough and the wheels are off(much like my nipples) more often than they are on and I have no idea how I will regain control of my exsistance as Poppy well and truly rules thus far. BUT I admire the gaul and behaviour of this wee bundle of tricks and look forward to duelling in the future.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Oh god Jodes! had no idea and feel shit about that, you poor thing, wish we could've helped, but glad they didn't ship you to Chch! Poor wee Poppy. I know the streaming snot face, did it a bit when I read this... let me know when is a good time to call, when you feel like a friendly voice won't set you off. Love you, J xx